This is Part 2 in my series of Winter Health and Fitness Tips!
(Here is Part 1: “Winter Fitness Tips” if you want to check it out!)
Here are some warm comfort foods that are healthy, or at least lower calorie:
- Hot cocoa, add in some mini marshmallows which are low calorie and you’ve got yourself a treat!
- Coffee, just be sure what you’re adding to it is low in calories and not high sugar/fat. Some ideas are nut milks, cinnamon, and honey.
- Hot tea (same goes for what you add as above).
- Warm milk
- Oatmeal or cream of wheat
- Toast or English muffin: as long as you don’t put a ton of butter or something else on your them, whole grain/wheat toast is a healthy warm food. English muffins are also somewhat lower in calories than some other breakfast foods and if you toast them can also make a nice comforting, warm food.
- Soups (make sure to check the nutrition label for sodium though!)
- Grilled cheese sandwiches with whole grain/wheat bread and minimal butter.
- Chili: ground turkey chili, chicken chili, meatless chili.
- Baked sweet potatoes
- Healthy lasagna (the opportunities are endless with this, look for some recipes).
- Meatloaf made healthily, again there are many recipes for this online.
- Crockpot meals: there are so many recipes out there for this as well.
- Popcorn (yes, popcorn is a healthier snack choice than some snacks, just be careful of all the additives such as butter or salt).
It’s good to spend some time just chilling too: curling up with a good book and a hot cup of your choice beverage. That is an ultimate comfort for a lot of us. So cozy! Time spent putting your own wellbeing first is time well spent, and very healthy. You can also cuddle with pets, your kids, or other loved ones. I love snuggling with my nephews on a cold morning, it helps warm me warm up faster and also keeps them warm which is true of pets and other loved ones as well. It’s a mutually beneficial activity!
The more you move, the warmer you’ll feel. Of course this is only temporary, but at least you’re killing two birds with one stone: getting warmer and burning calories! Plus you also get things done as well, which means you’re multitasking, such as cleaning or other housework or even getting your exercise in!
Imagine popping in a good movie to watch, with a bowl of popcorn (portioned out so you know how much you’re eating)… maybe even some hot tea or coffee to drink… curled up with loved ones or even by yourself. So comfortable and cozy!
What is your favorite way to stay warm and feel cozy during the winter? Mine is curling up with a book and just letting the story take me away. It helps me to not think of the freezing weather outside!
P.S. If you want to make 2016 your best year yet, check out my New Year’s product: Best Year for the Best You 2016 Package. It’s up for pre-order right now for a limited time price of $259! It will be going up to full price once it’s released on December 17th, but if you order it now, you’re saving sixty dollars and you will receive the full package on the release date! If you purchase from this link, your card won’t be charged until the day it’s released!